Monday, March 10, 2008

In Memory of Dave


My 37 year old brother Dave has gone to heaven!!!
I can't believe this has happened. He left his wife Heidi and his five kids Lasca-11, Brogan-10, Joecee-6, Stryder-4, Kaymin-2. I am hurting so bad. I think I can deal with Dave's death but I am having a hard time every time I think of the wonderful family he left behind.
Heidi was so strong yesterday. I know I would have crumbled but she held strong for those kids as they each said good bye to their dad. She made the hard decisions to be made in this horrible life event.

Dave's spirit is now in heaven... his body is going to save so many people today!!!
our family has been granted 3 amazing miracles... My brother Todd recovered from a broken back. He is still in a wheelchair but he has a sound mind and a wonderful family. My sister-in-law Wanda was in a car accident and suffered severe head trauma, the doctors said she would never function. She now has 4 children and you would never guess she had any type of accident. My mom had a heart attack and was gone... she came back to us. We prayed so hard for Dave but we didn't get the miracle this time. But... so many families are going to have miracles happen today because of him.

Today I am numb... I have so many thoughts about my brother Dave. From the mayonnaise he used to spear on my glasses to the heart felt apology he made to me recently...

My goal now is to make sure these 5 kids and Heidi are loved, cared for, and return to as normal life as possible. I know this trial is going to be the most difficult thing we have been through but we will make it through. Heidi is one of the strongest people I know. She has made her kids strong. From the day Lasca was born Heidi has been so honest with her kids. I admit at times I thought she would tell them too much... She has given them the gift. The gift to be able to express them selves. This will help them through the years. My heart was torn out as Lasca laid on her dads chest and talked to him and said goodbye. She told him that she didn't want him to go!!! She loved him!! But if this had to happen she told Dave that they would be OK. What an amazing 11 year old.

At work Wednesday Dave was pulling a trailer it came loose and hit the back of his truck. We are not sure exactly what happened... we are assuming he had some whiplash. He was complaining of a severe headache on Thursday and Friday. But no one thought much of it because he had Bronchitis. This trauma to his neck caused a dissection (a small cut in the basil artery in the back of his neck.) As it was healing itself it was forming a clot in the artery.
Saturday morning Heidi heard him stumble out of bed and scream. He was dizzy and couldn't walk. Heidi helped him to the bathroom, he fell and Heidi dragged him to the bed. Brogan had come up because of the fall and called 911. The ambulance came and took him to American Fork Hospital were they did a CAT scan. In the CAT scan we think the clot came loose and caused the most severe stroke. They transfered him to a bigger hospital at Utah Valley. They found a large clot in the worst spot possible, the basil artery. It was cutting of blood flow to his brain stem and both hemispheres of the cerebrum (the lower back part of the brain). The doctors were able to remove the clot but the damage was too severe. Sunday evening his fight was over and he was declared brain dead.

I loved my brother Dave. He was real, genuine, fun, and a big tease. He loved his wife and kids and they loved him. I will miss him so much. I can't believe that our gatherings will be missing one of its greatest entertainers. We will make sure his legacy lives on through these 5 wonderful kids. Heidi is strong... there are going to be huge struggles ahead but we will face them day by day.


I Love You Dave!! I will Miss You!! Until we meet again in Heaven...

17 comments:

Entirely Eventful Day said...

Jen, I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that the Spirit will comfort your family members. My heart goes out to his wife and kids. Let me know what I can do for you.
Love,
Aly

Lindsay Dumas said...

Jen, As I dry my tears; my heart goes out to you and your family, as well as your brother's sweet kids and wife. Please know that I am here for you should you need anything.

Love,
Lindsay

Missy Lee said...

Jen-
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. What a tragic accident, that seemed like something so simple. It's a shame that he had to go so young, but Heavenly Father must have needed him. The Lord will comfort his family. Let me know if you need anything.
Love,
Melissa Williams

Sara said...

Jen, my heart is broken for your family. I cannot fathom the scope of your sorrow right now. I wish I were there to help you somehow. You are in our prayers. We love you guys.

Sara and Lee

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Thank you so much for your words of confort. I appreciate all of your family and their support for Heidi and the kids. I will miss Dave forever and the fun times.
Thank you
Love
Jenay Johnson

Erica said...

Jen, What a tragedy. I feel awful for you and for Dave's sweet little family. I will be praying for all of you and have faith that God will send out His angels during this trying time. I am also willing to help; even if it is just babysitting so that you have time to sort out your thoughts.
Much Love,
Erica

Cindy said...

Jen, Mark told me about your brother this morning and I came to read your blog. I just bawled reading it. I hadn't met your brother but my heart breaks for your family and especially Heidi and the kids. I just wanted you to know that you and your family are in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Cindy & Mark

LB said...

Jen-
Your perspective in this unbelievable tragedy is truly inspiring. I know you will be a great strength to your brother's family. You will all be in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Liz Briscoe

Anonymous said...

Jen,

I've never met you and I'm sure you don't know me, but I knew Dave. He and I were home teaching companions just for the last three months, but in that short time I could easily see what a genuine and kind person Dave Kirby was.

At our last visit we were talking about outdoor activities with our children, and Dave lit up as he told us how he would take his daughter (I can't remember which one) out hunting and they would have such a great time together. I remember him saying he absolutely cherished that time with his daughter and would never forget it. I know he loved his kids and his family and will miss having more experiences like this with them.

I hope you'll forgive my intrusion into your grief. However, I hope you'll take some solace in knowing how many people Dave influenced for good - even home teaching companions and families who only knew him for a couple months. It was immediately obvious that Dave personified the all-around good guy that everybody loves to be around, but also had a tender and kind side. He will certainly be missed.

Seth

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Jen! Bailey saw me crying this morning and wanted to know what happened. When I told her, she asked if Dave was with President Hinckley teaching people about Jesus.

I know your family will have some tough days ahead, and I wish we were there to help. We love you guys, & you are all in our prayers.

Love,
Rachel & Curtis

tash said...

Jen my goodness... What a sudden tragedy for your dear family. I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother. I am so sad for you and your family. Know I love you and your family will be in my prayers.

J Brinton said...

Jen and Mark--
We send our most heartfelt condolences to you and all your family. Certainly, such tragedies tear at our hearts and stretch our capacities to understand, to hope, and to endure. God bless you all. We certainly feel your grief and your loss, and will do all we can to share and lift both current and upcoming burdens.

We are so sorry for your loss.

Jim and Linda and kids

The Moffitt Family said...

Jen-I send all my love and prayers to you and your Family. Jen, know that Heavenly Father is there for you, let him carry you for awhile.
With Love, Shauna Moffitt

Callaway Family Fun said...

my daughter daisy goes to school with joecee & has been talking about her loss. our thoughts and prayers are with your family at this sad time. love, the callaway family

grannieannie said...

Dear Jen, I was so sad to hear about the loss of your brother. Our neighbor passed away the same way several years ago. She caught herself as she was falling down the stairs and jerked her neck pretty hard. Then she thought she had the flue and was achy. She also left 4 children & her husband, who was away on business at the time of her accident. When he returned he was faced with the decision to let her go, and also let her be a miracle for others. (my son married her daughter) Know that my prayers are with you. When is the funeral? Can I help by hosting for you at Region? I would be glad to do that for you. Love you, Ann

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cottle said...

Hi Jen (Jenny)
This is so sad. I just keep thinking what a shame David's death is. It shouldn't have happened, but maybe only so that we can make our lives a little better than they were before. I wish you and your family, mom and dad, and David's family peace and comfort.
Lynanne Montoya Cottle