Saturday, March 01, 2008


I just completed The Kite Runner yesterday. I loved the book, hated the book, and was a little disturbed by the book. As I finished, I didn't know if I could recommend it to anyone. I was a little angry with the main character and how selfish he was though most of the book.
I thought more of all the questions and thoughts the book stirred in me and decided The Kite Runner does teach some great lessons. I was reminded of how cruel young children can be to each other at times. How I need to be aware of what my children might be facing and to help them understand the appropriate way to treat people and defend people. Selfless, honest people will receive the greater reward in the end!
I also learned a great deal about the Afghani people and their horrific struggles over the last 30 years. I have a greater compassion for the people of that society (especially the women.)
Over all I have decided I will recommend the book to those who like to learn of other cultures and like to dig deep for some meaningful life lessons.

1 comments:

LMT said...

You read that fast. I had started it but then saw the movie. Then I decided it would still be fine to finish it. I agree, I was bugged by his cowardry (if that is a word.) I know when I was a kid my best friend would never have let that happen to me nor I to her. Right? ;-) Mixed feelings but overall good is my opinion of this one. What is your next book?